Monday, March 30, 2009

And the Rant Begins...

This is Melissa blogging again, I have to admit something. I am super scared, at the amount of money that we owe. I am not going to lie. I feel as though the Government owns my life. With student loans and even the tax they take out of my pay cheque...its barely impossible to survive.
I wish I knew what I know now when it comes to money. University is possibly the most horrible thing that can happen to someone. LOL, it teaches you nothing about money and you are just handed thousands of dollars at once...and expected not to blow it...yeah as if that would ever happen. Its money for free! Or so I thought...now reality is biting my ass. (pardon my french). Rick and I were working on a debt repayment calculator. Do you know how long it is saying its going to take us to repay back everything at the min payments? 137 months...that is 11.5 years... wow thats a long time...considering I am going to be 28 years old next week.
In all of this, there has to be something good come of it. I never thought in a million years that I would get excited over watching tomatoes grow...or waiting for my herbs to grow in my kitchen...and who would have thought I could even think about going near a real live turkey...but these are the sacrifises I must make to try and become more self sufficiant. Which will save us LOADS of money...which is a good thing right?? My husband just thrives on this, and I get excited watching him get excited over the simple things in life...like planting our garden. (even though its going to take LOADS of work on both our ends..but I will end up with a great tan I think!) I hope there is just atleast one person out there that feels the same way as I do. As hopeless as it may seem, and as much sacrificing it is going to take, it is VERY possible to get our debt paid off in exaclty 38 months!!
That means no more shopping trips, no more car looking, no more trips, but its all worth it to make 137 months of agony shrink down to 38 months...of agony..lol...

2 comments:

  1. WOO HOO for the "Thrifty Game"
    David nad I have been playing for a while now, and it's hard - limiting Tims, dates, weekends away, but we've cut our debt down by 75% in 3 years... Keep Going!!

    And If you wanna do some CHEAPY - sorry i mean - Thrifty Game dates... we're good for it! just give us a ring.

    Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thrifty challenge is hard - but I think it helps me to remember that the most important things are family and friends. Maintaining these relationships do not need to cost anything.
    Dan and I try to pay all our bills the day after we get paid (you can ask your credit cards, student loans to automatically withdraw a couple of days after you get paid) and then you only have spending money left. This is an easier way to budget!

    ReplyDelete