Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Realization

My wife and I started this blog to chronicle our new life together and our new life "on" the farm. Its taken me a while to convince her that we should do this farming 'together'. I think in the end it was the healthiness of this lifestyle also seeing how happy it makes me that did her in. I do think deep down Melissa is getting excited herself, which is amazing to me.
My wife and I came up with the plan to begin a semi-new lifestyle which will see us become debt free in less than three years! Also we will begin to produce as much of our own food as possible..."becoming self sufficient". We will become involved in farm markets or at least sell our excess produce elsewhere.
We realized shortly after our marriage that a husband and wife should not bear the burden of two large student loans for very long, if they would like their lives to be somewhat pleasant. The problem of course is paying is back.
We both racked our brains for weeks then months trying to figure out how to take us from being over 50,000 in debt to positive figures in THREE years. We both concluded that nothing short of selling our spare organs would accomplish this in that short of time. Neither of us liked that prospect so we went back to the drawing board. We understood that this is really going to take a lot of sacrifice and commitment to get rid of such a debt load.
We need to cut costs in every area. Not only is it our combined student loans (which got us NO WHERE) there is the normal every day bills such as rent, car payments, etc.
Our next biggest expense is food. I LOVE to eat. In fact I eat almost ALL day. Luckily, with our new plan...this is one way we can really cut costs! I love to garden and I dream to be mostly self sufficient someday so it was the perfect time for me to convince Melissa that planting gardens and raising animals would greatly decrease our bills while at the same time ensuring BETTER food, exercise and entertainment all resulting in a healthier lifestyle. Truly a "Win Win" situation. So this begins our adventure...one that does not have any options but to go forward...now I just gotta figure out how to get Melissa to like goats and chickens.....

4 comments:

  1. If you get goats.. and find yourself with an extra miniature goatie around... let me know? k?

    Good luck... and maybe Mel can help me with my little garden.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. out of debt in 3 years - possible

    Melissa liking goats and chickens - ummm... less so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.... do you realize that Chickens and Goats are probably the grossest and scariest animals on a farm.... seriously... they give me the hibby jibbies just thinking of them...I think I am with Melissa on this one.
    I can deal with plants though....lol

    I hope this plan works out for you guys! It's a wonderful idea!
    ~B

    ReplyDelete